Understanding human behavior and psychology is as interesting as it is complex. And this fascination to understand the reasoning behind any action or thought conducted by individuals peaks the curiosity of many students like you, and they are willing to make a career in this field.
But wait! Do you know what attributes of psychology to consider when choosing to study this subject in detail? Well, we’re here to help!
This article highlights the basics of psychology, why you should study it, the attributes of psychology, and some online psychology programs that can help you meet your educational goals.
Let’s start with the basics.
What is Psychology?
Simply put, psychology is the scientific study of the human mind. It helps you study the conscious and unconscious phenomenon of the mind that revolves around feelings and thoughts. Psychologists link this study to neuroscience and aim to understand the behavioral aspects of individuals and groups.
Let’s move on to understand why you need to study psychology.
Why Study Psychology?
Because psychology is considered one of the most diverse and fascinating fields of study, this study has many applications and benefits. Let’s look at some of the top reasons why you should consider studying psychology:
- Understanding human behavior: Psychology will help you gain a deeper understanding of what people think and feel, plus the reasons behind their behavior and actions. This is because psychology is considered the scientific study of human behavior and mental processes, which can help you better understand the reasoning behind human mentality.
- Improving your communication skills: If you have a fair understanding of psychology, you can communicate more effectively with others, from persuading someone to understand your point of view to trying to get along better with your friends and family.
- Enhancing your problem-solving abilities: The field of psychology will equip you to analyze and solve problems, which you can apply to multiple areas of your life, including personal relationships and professional work.
- Developing compassion and empathy: Studying psychology can help you develop a deeper understanding of individuals and be more empathetic towards them, improving your relationships and ability to help others massively.
- Prepping for a career in psychology or related fields: If you want to pursue a career in psychology or any related areas, such as counseling, social work, or education, studying psychology is the best way to kickstart a successful career.
One major advantage of studying psychology is that you can better understand yourself and the people around you, improve your communication and problem-solving skills and prepare yourself for various career options in psychology, its related fields, or a job in any field where understanding people will be important.
What Are the 7 Most Important Attributes of a Psychology Program?
While there are multiple factors to consider when evaluating a psychology program, here’s a list of some key factors to keep in mind:
- Accreditation: First and foremost, it is always wise to make sure that a recognized accrediting board accredits the psychology program you are considering. Accreditation directly indicates that the program meets certain standards and is recognized by professional organizations in the field.
- Curriculum: Next, you should thoroughly examine the curriculum of the program you’re considering. Your courses should cover a wide range of topics in psychology, including the social, cognitive, biological, and developmental characteristics of human behavior. Additionally, the program should ideally offer detailed study material in statistics, research methods, and experimental design to ensure that students are prepared to conduct comprehensive research and draw logical conclusions.
- Faculty: Another major factor to consider is the faculty of the institute. Ideally, the faculty must be highly trained, have a strong research record, and be actively involved in the field of psychology. As a member of the teaching community of a field of study as complex as psychology, they must provide high-quality instruction and mentoring to their students.
- Resources: Access to the right resources and facilities is necessary for students to succeed in a psychology program. This includes and is not limited to, research labs, computer labs, and clinical facilities.
- Internship and practicum opportunities: The program you are considering should ideally offer a chance for you to gain practical experience through internships, practicums, or other opportunities to gain hands-on experience. These experiences will help you develop the skills you need to build a career in psychology and present an opportunity to put your theoretical knowledge into practice.
- Career preparation: A comprehensive psychology program offers students the skills and knowledge necessary to pursue a career in psychology. This includes and is not limited to job placement services, networking opportunities, and career development resources.
- Diversity and inclusivity: This a relatively new but important factor that most individuals now consider before they zero in on a program. Your chosen program must foster an inclusive and diverse environment that respects and values individual differences. This also includes promoting cultural competency, addressing social justice issues, and creating a supportive environment for students from all backgrounds. You will also learn how to interact with people from all walks of life, benefitting you when you start working.
How Important Are College Rankings?
Psychology programs typically have several focus areas that cover different aspects of the field. We’re listing out some notable areas that you can choose to focus on in your psychology program:
1. Developmental psychology: This area of study explores human growth and development throughout the lifespan, including physical, cognitive, and social development.
2. Cognitive psychology: This field of study explains mental processes such as attention, memory, perception, problem-solving, and language.
3. Social psychology: This area focuses on how individuals interact with each other and the reasons behind social influences shaping our thoughts, feelings, and behaviors.
4. Clinical psychology: This study area is concerned with diagnosing, treating, and preventing psychological disorders and mental illnesses.
5. Behavioral psychology: This study in psychology emphasizes the study of observable behavior and environmental factors that influence this behavior.
6. Neuropsychology: This area focuses on the relationship between the brain and behavior. It also includes the effects of brain damage and disease on cognitive functioning.
7. Industrial-organizational psychology: This area of study details applying psychological principles to workplaces, including employee selection, training, and motivation.
It’s important to note that these are just a few examples of the many focus areas within psychology programs. Depending on the program and its curricula, the other areas of study may include personality psychology, psychopharmacology, forensic psychology, and many more.
The Bottom Line
Psychology provides students with a comprehensive understanding of human behavior and mental processes, preparing them for a range of lucrative careers in fields such as research, clinical practice, education, and industry.
We hope this article helped you understand psychology and its attributes in detail to bring you one step closer to making a wise decision about your higher education.
If psychology isn’t your calling, please feel free to explore more articles in our resource repository. All the best!
Frequently Asked Questions
Absolutely! Psychology is an in-demand field of study that is diverse and fascinating to many individuals. This is why many pursue degrees in psychology that can help them delve deeper into the mysteries of human behavior. It can also be a terrific foundation for other careers, such as criminal justice, marketing, human resources, or education.
Multiple well-known colleges and universities now offer online psychology programs. Some prominent ones offering this online course are the University of Arizona Global Campus, Regent University, and Grand Canyon University.
While there are several factors and attributes of a psychology program to consider, some of the top factors to consider are:
5) Career Preparation
6) nternship and Practicum Opportunities
7) Diversity and Inclusion